Saturday, November 11, 2006
























One of the most important reasons for living is to do something - live outside of yourself and put together an idea, an idea that you want to explore and then complete... Awaken your creative sensitivities!

Jack Palance, February 18, 1919 – November 10, 2006.

What a renaissance man, Jack Palance. Born to coal-mining, Ukrainian immigrant parents, he was a coal miner, football star, boxer, soldier, journalist, then actor. Contrary to his tough-guy image, Mr. Palance was a vegetarian and a painter, spoke six languages, and was a poet t'boot. And damn, the man did those legendary one armed pushups at the Oscars at the age of 72. They don't make them like that anymore. I hope I live and go out like he did. He breathed pure life!

Funny, the films I associate him with aren't necessarily the best ones, but the ones with the best lines -- "I crap bigger than you" and "If you're gonna dine with the Devil, you'd better use a long spoon". Classic!

Once when he was working on a western in my tiny wild west hometown (as seen in Pale Rider, Little House on the Prairie, Lonesome Dove, etc, etc.) when I was just a babe, story has it he crossed the little road that separates the State Park from my parents' street and walked down toward my parents' house. My dad was sitting on the back porch and saw our Doberman, Sheba, run out into the street and give a growl that my dad knew meant business. Lo and behold, Sheba had cornered Jack Palance against our neighbors' fence.

Dad said Sheba had a particular dislike that she reserved for a few for Mr. Palance, but he also said that was most likely because he was in western costume and was huge. My dad is a big fan of Mr. Palance, but all he could think was, "please don't bite a movie-star!" Mr. Palance was not bitten, and of course, being a non-movie-star type of movie-star (listen up and take notes, Sienna), had no beef with our dog or my dad. A good actor, he was, but a better man.

Rest in peace, good sir.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ammie said...

And no one tells it better than dad!

November 13, 2006 at 11:55:00 AM PST  
Blogger Willard said...

My Grandpa taught me about Jack Palance.

November 13, 2006 at 5:43:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home