Monday, October 16, 2006


















Just got back from my second session of getting my ninja on. As per usual, I'm sleeping with my instructor. Heehee.

Trevor was recently granted permission to start up an East Bay training group under his instructor, Shihan Dale Seago, who heads the San Francisco Bujinkan, and I promised him that as soon as he began teaching, I would take classes. So far, I'm loving it, though feeling a tad stupid because it involves learning to move in a whole new and exciting way and my body seems to rebel at every turn. Don't worry, Trevor says, everyone feels a little stupid at first while getting the body mechanics down, and soon it will feel natural. Plus, everyone will be sorry they laughed at you when you shuriken their ass.

Okay, Trevor actually only said the first part about not worrying about feeling stupid and it becoming natural. But dreaming of ass-kicking is also totally normal I think too until you know what you're doing. One with the Tao though and all, I am only kidding. Slightly.

I must say, I am really stoked and excited, because Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is so flexible and works on such a practical level. And Trevor is such a good instructor. Check out the East Bay Buyu site, and if you're in the EB on Monday nights, come check it out in person!

And while Trevor will never be rolling in the Benjamins from being a Bujinkan instructor, he will be honing his own training, getting more folks interested and trained in the art he loves, and hopefully turning his wife into a trained killer. All things he loves to do, plus he may make just enough to pay his rent on the space every month and pocket a couple of dollars for a bowl of ramen when we visit Japan. Fantasy job.

Funny, I've been thinking about this since reading about fantasy jobs on Julie's blog. Aren't we all looking for satisfaction and the Benjamins? So far, I've been happily sacrificing the latter for the former (and adjusting my life accordingly), but wouldn't it be great if the two could comingle into delicious job nirvana? And by fantasy, I'm talking about not worrying about money, not sacrificing real life for your job, zero-bullshit, and doing something important.

So, my fantasy jobs, in no particular order:

1.Nutritionist
2.Epidemiologist
3.Assassin
4.Chef
5.David J's personal assistant or bass monkey (oy, I'm such a freak -- if I'm honest this is numero uno)
6.Professional player-with of puppies (whoops, you're numero uno after this J, sorry...)
7.Personal shopper for the unfortunately dressed
8.DJ
9.Naturalist
10.Ceramicist
11.Sex columnist
12.Record store clerk
13.Barista-ing with Doug again
14.Sharpshooter of objects
15.Fashionista
16.Esthetician
17.Farmer
18.Jack Bristow

Sigh. Can't I live forever?

And lest you think I forgot about scary things in my posts this month (as if the prospect of me learning the ways of the ninja is not scary enough and what Stan Lee might smell like didn't make you blanch with horror), check out the cool shenanigans Trevor has been up to in his Information Technology Tools and Applications class whilst pursuing one of his fantasy jobs, librarian. Oooh, spooky frames!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

Hold on... librarianship is a fantasy job? But I get paid to do it.

October 17, 2006 at 3:16:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Trevor said...

Ah, but with what are you paid?

By the way, how'd you make your very-cool self-portrait?

October 20, 2006 at 12:10:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

I think Mark may just look like that normally. I also think he may have neglected to mention that he's an intergalactic librarian, and that he gained control of his literary kingdom through the utilization of eye socket laser beam technology. Or did you get those purely through genetics?

October 20, 2006 at 2:50:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't realize Trevor was a ninja. Man- Grant Fish, Dan Schultz and now Trevor..

That's rare company!

October 21, 2006 at 6:46:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

Thanks sweets, but I think I can handle any "assistance" the J may need. ;)

Anyway, I think we might very well kill him with our WonderTwin powers. Poor man.

November 1, 2006 at 12:42:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home