Wednesday, March 08, 2006

There are a few things that happened today that have me freaked out, perturbed, and disturbed beyond belief -- in that order. I do not have the time or energy at the moment for solutions -- all I can right now is complain, so if you've got a problem with that, stop right here.

First, at work I read an autopsy report for a 69 year old man who died of massive cardiac arrest. He was 5 foot 9 inches and 400 pounds. He had a layer of fat on his enlarged heart, fat on his pancreas, and 5-6 inches of subcutaneous fat in his abdomen. His blood vessels were in an advanced stage of arteriosclerosis. I am really freaked out by the obesity epidemic in this country. I know obesity is not a simple cut and dried problem, but we need some serious intervention here, stat.

Second, I was driving in heinous traffic today and stopped at a 3 way stop where each car was trying to merge onto the same road. The car to my left was beginning to go, and then I began inching out when the minivan behind the car that just went zoomed out and cut me off. Actually, he had to sit right in front of me for a while and try not to look at me while he waited for traffic to go. I pulled in behind him and got a good eyeful of his "peace" stickers and other self-satisfied bullshit. I am perturbed by people who pontificate about things like peace when they do not even possess simple human courtesy. Peace will not happen with shitbrick at the wheel.

Third, my coworker told me that she was driving home yesterday in Richmond, and as she sat at the light behind another car, three 11 or 12 year old kids began crossing the road. As they neared the other side, one of the kids pulled a handgun out and pointed it at the driver in front of my coworker. My coworker tried to look like she wasn't paying attention, because she didn't want the kids to pay attention to her. But then they walked down the line of cars, pointing the gun into the driver's side windows. Okay, I am very disturbed, for obvious reasons, but also because my first reaction was that I would have just hit the gas and probably killed all three of those kids. Sad end to a sad life. What genius points a weapon at someone else without the intention of using it? If someone had had a gun in their car, that could've been a big mess. Good god, I'm glad I don't live in Richmond and that my parents raised me right, and that I don't have myriad socioeconomic dragweights attached to my being. Such an awful situation all around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home