Saturday, March 04, 2006

Trevor and I took in a pint tonight at the Splitter. A large group of thirty-somethings were sitting directly across from us, and I couldn't take my eyes off one of the women in the group. Not only was she absolutely stunning, but she looked so familiar. My pint and feeling of recognition led to what I thought was covert staring, but I soon found myself being ogled by members of the large party as well. As they got up to leave, I stopped the woman I had been ruminating about in my mind, and it turns out she was a schoolmate in high school. Hadn't seen each other in 14 years.

You must understand that my high school was very very small, so seeing someone from there in a city the size of Oakland is quite arresting; in fact, I about had a heart attack a few months back when I saw Bauhaus at the Fillmore (squee!) and realized the mutton-chopped, monkeyish little fellow playing tambourine for their encore was none other than Joel Gion of Brian Jonestown Massacre, itty bitty Sonora High School, and my freshman year fantasies (he was much more Ian McCulloch than mutton-chop then, my dears -- I do have some sense of decorum).

So Jessica is an artist, and we saw an incredible photo of one of the electricity exhibitions her and her sweetie performed. We had a pleasant little catching up. She has a lovely website for those curious folks out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home