Thursday, June 04, 2009

I HATE bureaucrats and lack of common sense, which so often go hand in hand.

The City Taketh Away

About a year ago, Larry Moore was panhandling for booze. Since then, he has built up a popular shoeshine business and hasn't had a drink. He nearly had the $600 needed to rent a place and get off the street until S.F. stepped in and forced him to pay for a vendor permit.

I know the Public Works official is just doing her job, but christ! Giving this guy a break doesn't set bad precedent -- it serves to reward someone trying to do the right thing and demonstrate there's a bit of humanity left in our structures.

Anyway, I may hate automatons in government, but I do love the human spirit.

"I had $573 ready to go," Moore said, who needs $600 for the rent. "This tore that up. But I've been homeless for six years. Another six weeks isn't going to kill me."

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dixie said...

Please tell me some good samaritans chipped in and helped him raise $600 for an apartment....

June 7, 2009 at 7:47:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home