Monday, May 11, 2009

Irish Student Hoaxes World's Media With Fake Quote

When Dublin university student Shane Fitzgerald posted a poetic but phony quote on Wikipedia, he said he was testing how our globalized, increasingly Internet-dependent media was upholding accuracy and accountability in an age of instant news.

As regular readers of my blog know, I am a big fan of using Wikipedia as a reference link, as it is a great way to get a primer on something, and folks interested in more can check out the footnotes for more in-depth articles. But being aware of its potential problems is key. And when it comes to potential problems, how about them apples?

Also sweet: this oldie but goodie I found a while back on the Grammy page. Gotta love web 2.0.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

This is one of the best pranks I've seen in a long time. It educates and mocks simultaneously. Shane Fitzgerald is my new hero.

May 16, 2009 at 12:24:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home