Friday, May 29, 2009

Lately, depending on your perspective, I have been either a) totally getting my health on, or b) punishing myself with torture that may lead to premature death.

To wit:

Today was my second Bikram yoga class. Today I watched a puddle of my own sweat form on the part of the yoga mat not covered by a terry towel during one asana. It was dripping off my back, onto my face, and then from my head.

Bikram yoga is 90 minutes of yoga in 110 degrees at 50 percent humidity. Apparently, you burn upwards of 500 calories in one session. Afterwards, you are starving and sleepy, and in some cases (like mine) feel like you want to die. Sounds good, right? Apparently, this is the way you are supposed to feel. Cleansing toxins from your body and massaging your organs and all that. I even have a friend who swears his stinky office mate got less stinky after starting Bikram.

Right now, I feel like I've been hit by a truck, but then again I've also got better posture, spring in my step, and those stairs to my apartment feel like nothing. Go figure.

I have a one month promo membership -- let's see where this goes.

And tired of paying $3 a pop for probiotic goodness in a jar, I've also been brewing my own kombucha.















^^ That was my first batch, made with Earl Grey tea. You can see the "mother" kombucha colonies (or "mushrooms") at the bottom of the jars. First batch was super vinegary, but produced some fine looking mushroom "babies" (the white layer on the top):



















Just harvested my second batch today -- this time made with green tea -- and it was significantly less vinegary. A lot of people say kombucha tastes like sweaty socks, so people will generally put a tablespoon or more of fruit juice in the glass to make it palatable. This batch is so easy to drink straight I thought I'd done something wrong.

Anyway, let's hope I'm doing more good than harm! Now I'm off for a beer.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dixie said...

I've been doing Bikram yoga for about six months now and I love it! Every class is a little different for me - it's interesting. Sometimes I can hold the standing bow pulling pose for the whole minute, sometimes not. Somedays I have a really awesome camel and somedays I feel like puking while I'm in it. I started doing it more for the relaxation benefits more than trying to get fit, but the calorie burn is a nice touch. According to Quick Fit Yoga I burn 850 calories per class. Pretty sweet.

Where did you get your kombucha starter? I've been wanting to make my own for some time. The taste is so addicting.

May 30, 2009 at 12:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

Today I'm taking a break from Bikram and I kind of miss it already! Funny you say you have good and pukey days -- I also notice my friend who got me into it (he goes 5-6 times a week and has been for over a year) has awesome and not so awesome days. I like that it's varied. I also like it for the relaxation.

My friend gave me a bunch of mushrooms from his home-brewing. I think he got his online.

I highly recommend brewing your own kombucha. It is so easy, and cheap.

May 30, 2009 at 5:31:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home