Thursday, January 11, 2007

Oh man, this is class.



And speaking of wasting time clicking links and looking for cool shit on insane cultural phenomena like GooTube: even though Saturday Night Live has its sucky months (or years), I still could spend all day clicking links in the SNL Wiki.

BTW, I love you Will Forte. You have been added to my man-harem to have my man-harem babies.

So yeah, anyway, karma. It's a goddess.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out the wiki on dolphin hunting methods in Japan.

Texas-Based Pizza Chain Accepts Pesos.

Why is this national news, and why do I care? Because:

A pizza chain has been hit with death threats and hate mail after offering to accept Mexican pesos, becoming another flashpoint in the nation's debate over immigrants.

"This is the United States of America, not the United States of Mexico," one e-mail read. "Quit catering to the damn illegal Mexicans," demanded another.


I laughed, because yesterday on SFGate this article was the centerpiece:

Mexicans Flee Tijuana for U.S.

(01-09) 11:28 PST Chula Vista, Calif. (AP) --

A border city that has long watched illegal immigrants pass through on their way to low-wage jobs up north is increasingly welcoming a very different kind of arrival: wealthy Mexicans seeking refuge from kidnappings and other violence.

"I feel a sense of relief as soon as I cross the border," [said] Lorena Flores, in the living room of their sparsely furnished home, which the couple bought for $585,000.
(emphasis mine)

We want your property taxes and your cheap labor, Mexicans, but not your stinking currency! Go spend that money at home! And while we're at it, why do you come here and make money and then send it back to Mexico instead of spending it here and boosting our.....? Uh, er, nevermind.

Haha, whatever. SFGate should have actually titled that first article about the pizza chain, "Why We'll Never Be Europe." Here's another reason.

I think that role models should be close to home, rather than people you don't know at all. That's why I'm so honest about everything that goes on in my life, 'cos I understand that there are young kids who look up to singers and people in the media as role models. But you don't really know anything about their lives. They don't talk about their weird sex habits and drug habits (laughs). Yet you idolize them. And when it eventually gets printed all over the papers, people become very disappointed. -- Lily Allen

Now, I don't know shite about Lily Allen except for what the media tells me. But I do know I live in a country that idolizes Tom and Paris and Britney and their excruciating lives, so hearing about someone like this Allen chick is pretty refreshing. Maybe it's a put-on, but if so, it's a damn good one.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dixie said...

Ack, you temptress! Now I'm going to be whiling away hours on the SNL wiki page! I am seriously loving SNL now that it's funny again. Will Forte, Fred Armisen, and Andy Sandberg are some of the best choices that Lorne Michaels has made in a long time. Certainly better than Mrs. Unfunny Fey.

Anyhoo, woot woot for Lily Allen! One of the reasons that I love celebrity gossip blogs is to watch the myth that gets built up around celebrities. Some celebrities position themselves as sort of a blank canvas to the public so that people can project onto them whatever type of image they please. The Britney's and the Christina's of the world start out a sweet, little teenagers while the whole time doing things that their tweenage fans have never even thought of.

January 14, 2007 at 6:49:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home