Saturday, January 06, 2007

I bought Mark Kozelek's new live CD, Little Drummer Boy Live today -- live tracks from all over the world and two unreleased tidbits! I am so excited to listen to it but I wrapped it up to give to my honey, and he's at work for a few more hours! Goo.

I have a feeling this is going on my greatest of 2006 list. It is nearly impossible to go wrong with Mark Kozelek. He's a guitar-picking master, and with his acoustic guitar and haunting voice he creates beautiful, ethereal tapestries of saudade. And everyone knows that's what I'm about, sweets.

Right then. So, as promised, my list of other great things in 2006 is supposed to be in this installment. But I don't have enough to list (aw, that sounds so sad), so I thought I'd just list a few random highlights. The best book I read released in 2006: The People's Act of Love, by James Meek. Best show I attended: a toss up between Neko Case and the Decemberists.

Sorry, Bauhaus, but your final show as support for NIN in a gigantic arena did not make the cut -- kickass 'Double Dare' notwithstanding. But chin-up -- your Fillmore headlining show in 2005 is still the best show I've ever been to.

2006 was great because: I went to Japan in cherry blossom season, a close relative began recovery from cancer, a friend survived a shooting that should've killed him, my man and I celebrated 15 years together, my man began teaching his martial art, I made a lot of really wonderful friends, both online and in the "real world," I began playing bass guitar, my sister got promoted, and I finally got a job I love that doesn't squeeze me dry. I also feel like I gained some new perspective this year. Hope to layer some more of that on thick again this year.

In that vein, I think I have more to write about when it comes to what I look forward to in 2007:

-- Yay for a Democratic Congress in 2007. And good god damn, we have our first female Speaker too, and she's from San Francisco, yo. First order of business? To give the one finger salute to lobbyists and DeLay and the years of Congressional corruption the American people felt powerless to do anything about, until the 110th Congress *happy dance*.

In traveling throughout California, I heard from people who simply wanted to believe their representative again

Rep. Jerry McNerney, D-Pleasanton
(who ousted Richard "Dick" Pombo -- yay!)

I am hopeful, very very hopeful, that this is not just a placation but that Pelosi and the rest of the Dems will continue to clean up the mess this administration and years of Republican rule have wrought on the environment, corporate accountability, the poor (I could go on) and that they will especially put a stop to the funneling of money to Halliburton and Cheney's fat ass and get the hell out of Iraq. And PLEASE, Dems, keep your own crooked ways to a minimum. Please do run the "most ethical Congress in history." Please.

-- New work by David J. As if you're not sick to death hearing about it, I know, but David will finally be releasing the work he did for The Black Dahlia Movie. Take a listen on the Black Dahlia soundtrack page

BTW, David's bit at Trannyshack was fantastic, thanks for asking! I got to see one of my favorite Bauhaus songs, 'Who Killed Mr. Moonlight?' performed, and I got to meet David and chat a bit. Surprise -- he is just the bee's knees.

Be forewarned, I'm taking everyone who visits me in the Bay to Trannyshack, it rocks that hard. What is there not to love about fabulous trannies dancing around a cauldron lip-synching to Diamanda Galas? It can only be loved.















-- Oh, yeah, and I want to be excited about a new Bauhaus album in 2007, but it feels bleak.

-- Going to Japan in October. We've done Summer to death. Japan in the Spring is so last year. Winter is taken up with Christmas and New Year holidays and the financial aftermath. Japan in the Autumn 'tis! Whee!

-- A good friend I met online is moving to the Westside from Florida. We will meet in person in 2007! Another good friend I met online is getting married in 2007 -- his fourth year of being cancer-free!

-- Some good superhero movies. 2006 was hopeless. X-Men 3 hurt me. A lot. But Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman is making me crazy! I hope we see this is 2007. It is going to be incredible. I guess I am also looking forward to Spiderman 3, and I hear Hellboy 2 is in the works, and I may subject myself to the new Fantastic Four for the badassity of the Silver Surfer, but I am ultimately gunning for Whedon's good stuff. I am also really looking forward to The Dark Knight, scheduled for 2008, but I'm hoping for a rollback for release in 2007.

(Gah, just watched the FF trailer again, and the thought of paying $10 to watch their Johnny Storm "flame on" made me break out in hives. Looking forward to the Silver Surfer, but it looks like it'll be Silver Surfer on DVD.)

Ah, and not necessarily something for me to look forward to, but amusing nonetheless: yesterday Trevor and I were driving into San Francisco -- well, not actually driving into so much as inching along -- in a very slow-moving lane on the Bay Bridge. When we got to the front of the line to pay our ridiculous $4 toll, I saw what the holdup was about. We has chosen a lane with one of the fabled and rare "friendly" tolltakers. You know the ones -- they look at you without contempt and don't ignore your hello, and maybe, just maybe, crack a smile and say have a nice day? Yep. Anyway, ours was dispensing fortunes. After a preliminary check to make sure Trevor had made an honest woman out of me, our tollbooth oracle said that I will get pregnant this year and the child will be a boy.

Um, no, but thanks anyway!

If I had been by myself, I wonder if he would've granted me a lottery win or new car instead? D'oh!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

Yeah - the Silver Surfer may look good, but I doubt if he'll elevate the movie that far above the standard of the first one. Crap with patches of tolerable.

January 7, 2007 at 2:14:00 PM PST  
Blogger Ammie said...

Straight up. The first FF was beyond abysmal. I couldn't even finish it -- I have no doubt this one will suck as well. I love the Silver Surfer, and even he will only numb the pain slightly. I have a feeling that by the mid-point I will be begging Galactus to put me out of my misery.

January 7, 2007 at 5:00:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home