Friday, January 19, 2007



Can't forget the flashing
Can't forget the smashing
The sending and the bending
The ampisphere re-entry
You gotta have the time
Got a letter in your mind
Gotta heart injection
That you got yourself a line






Flipping through Bust magazine's "Love Issue" today and came across an interview with one of my favorite rock and roll women, Kim Gordon, and her husband Thurston Moore, about their over 20 years together as partners in both life and Sonic Youth.

Over 20 years. Very rare for couples in rock and roll, and especially couples who work together. Hell, very rare for all us regular folk too. Why is that?

BUST: Do you believe there's any fate or design at work when a couple that really seems meant to be gets together?

Kim: Well, this guy who did our astrology chart said we were soul mates, but I don't know. I think before you meet someone who you are going to be with as a life partner, you have to know what you're going to do with your life and be working at it before it will work.


I took Kim's words to mean that loving yourself and being alright with your life makes it easier and more natural for you to give what needs to be given to another human being who is your partner. It only makes sense. It's funny, because it sounds selfish; indeed, I think upon first glance a lot of the things Kim and Thurston said in the interview might sound selfish to some people. But it's true -- to make things work you have to be in a good spot with yourself first. You can't give if you're spent already, and a true loving partnership is about giving of yourself and knowing in turn what you need from the other person.

Observing someone recently also in the rock and roll business, whom I respect immensely, interact so intimately and seamlessly with his self-professed soul mate has got this on my mind. It is cool to feel that comforting, subtle, yet powerful, and blissfully right energy from a partnership, and knowing it is there because of those two souls, together.

Some may call me a hopeless romantic, but I say I am living the proof -- I'm a complete believer in soul mates. It's not to say that you can't enjoy other people and their company and have a good time, and even fall in love, but I do think there are mystical things afoot, things we cannot understand but must just give ourselves up to. Fate. I think there is some one for every one who just fits perfectly.

How can I not believe?

4 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

I totally agree! "Living proof" as you say...

January 20, 2007 at 1:30:00 AM PST  
Blogger Willard said...

the machinations of the cosmic engine is not something I am privy to, so I cannot vouch for the probabilities of paths I haven't veered off on or chosen.. perhaps there would be a soul-mate in theory, or by karma, if the correct choices are made or something.
regardless, sometimes gears mesh in an of themselves, and other times a few gears or machinations are needed between the gears to synchronize the motions..

so, I as a gear generally need a few cogs between me and others to mesh.. while others may need more or less. eh..

hmm

January 20, 2007 at 10:32:00 AM PST  
Blogger Willard said...

All I know is that google is the center of the universe and that one day I am going to google up the love of my life.
Have you seen her?
5'2", eyes of blue, long pretty hair Mormon, virgin. Oh, and she's made of gingerbread.
yum! yum!

That's what they told me, at least.

January 21, 2007 at 8:50:00 AM PST  
Blogger Ammie said...

@stardust -- you and your sweetie are another example of what I'm talking about. A blissful partnership of love and mutual respect, and finding each other despite all the white noise of life.

@craig -- my best friend says your dream girl is at her ashram in California. Pack your bags!

@my sweetie -- I love you.

January 23, 2007 at 12:10:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home