Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Good morning, US of A.



If it turns out that President Barack Obama can make a deal with the most intransigent, hard line, unreasonable, totalitarian mullahs in the world but not with Republicans, maybe he's not the problem.

Wow, even the mainstream rags are going to town on this.

Though I still let out a big ol' le sigh, because sometimes, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

(at which point I transition away from the depressing and/or infuriating news of the day and aim my post toward the slightly less frustrating but more entertaining and sense-making (if I do say so myself), world of my bloggity blog, in abstract.)

Still with me?

I've been blogging here since March 2, 2006. I know! And teh internets are like dog years, which makes me, oh, at least middle-aged in internet time. Yes, I am not a Millennial! Microblogging, what? Nope, just me and the year to year grind of blogspot, baby. But if you're closing in on ancient like me, one thing that time and being both politically inclined and shallow in equal measure -- as well as holding on, pitbull-like, to your granny technology having archives -- will get you is teh hits. I've been getting a lot of hits lately where folks are clicking through my tags (which only date back to like, 2007, but whatever, that's almost 7 YEARS of my world), so, in an effort to placate my vanity see how consistent I am, I've been reading through my old posts.

Some observations...

I made a lot more time to write when I was a dewy-eyed 30-ish than a glassy-eyed [shut your mouth!]. Before I had a smartphone, or teh facebooks; when I had crappier jobs with more time that paid me more back then when I was building my career than now where I am in the midst of it; when I was less tired of EVERYTHING.

Again, the more things change...the more they stay the same.

Even though this ride has been less than a blip, a nanosecond in the life of mankind, it's been nearly a decade of mine and my contemporaries' lives, so it is disheartening to see that we're still fighting the same old battles forever and ever, and harnessing the same old fears to hasten the trading of freedom and scary civil rights violations for perceived security.

But we're winning a lot in a short time too. And even in this forever recession (RIP, amazing 21 Grand), my friends and I who were making art are still making art and living joyous lives.

Interesting, this internet life; one that is stored on both human and mechanical servers, to be reviewed at any time and, given circumstances, assessed in vastly different ways. Short and sweet, but forever there for somebody.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home