Sunday, August 19, 2007

1) I just bought tickets to see Final Fantasy at The Independent in October. I am stoked!

On a seemingly unrelated note...

2) ...this weekend I picked up the brand spankin' new, 180 gram vinyl reissue of John Cale's 1973 album Paris 1919. This is another goodun from the excellent folks at 4 Men With Beards, who caused many a flurry of excitement when they recently reissued PIL's Metal Box.

Which, while a fetching prize, is not in my grubby little hands, but Paris 1919 is, and...

3) ...not only is one of my blog sidebar namesakes on this album, but the title track is one of my favorite John Cale songs ever. Yummier on warm, delicious vinyl -- curled up on the couch with tea or in the kitchen making something exquisite on a rainy Sunday afternoon required.

Leading me to the fact that...

4) ...Final Fantasy does a equally beautiful cover of this lovely gem, which I am very excited to see live in just a couple of months.

My conclusion?

5) Life is good!

For the uninitiated:

Paris 1919 by John Cale.

Paris 1919 covered by Owen Pallett (AKA Final Fantasy):

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

I'm more of a SLOW DAZZLE kind of guy.

August 19, 2007 at 10:20:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

Slow Dazzle. Don't have it. Will check it out. I'm a small potatoes Cale fan, so I am not terribly familiar with a lot of his (gigantic) catalog.

I love his instrumentation -- I especially like this album because of its orchestral sound. But his stripped down stuff is amazing too. He gots the gift.

August 20, 2007 at 7:13:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

SLOW DAZZLE, and FEAR as well. Basically, Cale went a bit mad after PARIS, and produced these cracked, paranoid classics. Plus, rockier instrumentation.

August 21, 2007 at 1:15:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

I took a listen to Slow Dazzle. Cracked and paranoid -- yep you hit it. Wicked good. It's crazy to hear Paris 1919 and then Slow Dazzle. 2 years and it's a completely different sound, but his stylistic elements are all there. Not forced or predictable though. Fucking ace. Thanks Mark!

August 21, 2007 at 7:54:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home