Thursday, August 16, 2007

Neil Gaiman reports that Stardust was deemed "Very Offensive" per a reviewer utilizing the moral ratings guide of the Christian Spotlight on Entertainment. I was curious to see what the criteria was for this rating, and it looks like it stems from the way women are treated in the film (geez -- classic fairy tale archetypes true to era anyone?) and, of course, the pagan aspects of Faerie.

Also curious to me was the going on and on about the horrible violence for a PG-13 film and the terrors of "fantasy violence," yet the site's sunny review of the excellent PG-13 violence-fest The Bourne Ultimatum doesn't admonish the film at all for its insuitability "for the children" and in fact deems it merely "Offensive."

I just wish Goody Hysteria would have left the Stardust review at problems with the heathens and the presentation of any worldview outside of Christianity, because we all know that's the real stinker. The hypocrisy of padding out the review with the other bits to be more well-rounded in criticism is just laughable.

Anyway, there are bigger fish to fry, heathen-hunters! Can't wait for wild-eyed hysterics over the upcoming PG-13 holiday film The Golden Compass. Never mind the daemons and organized religion-power-trippin' story -- the bits concerning The Authority can't get much more in your face for misguided people who are constantly sniffing around for "threats" to their faith. Won't say more in order to keep y'all who haven't read the series by Philip Pullman in the dark, but let's just say oh glorious impending trainwreck.

Don't hate me for saying this, but I didn't care for the book. But check this trailer yo!



Going to hike, laze around, eat caramel apples, get a massage, and see Immortal Technique this Friday and Saturday in Santa Cruz. Can't wait!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

I'm a fellow Pullman-apathetic. Nice prose style, shame about the tedium of the characters/plot dynamics.

And yes, I can get filthy looks for saying so at work.

August 18, 2007 at 5:30:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

Exactly! Thank you.

I swear, there was a time when I felt there was something wrong with me, the way people would go on when I told them I just didn't care for the books.

August 18, 2007 at 11:20:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home