Tuesday, September 19, 2006

These are a few of my favorite things right now...
























I just recently got turned on to The Knife, a Swedish brother and sister electronica duo. The stuff I've heard from them is really cool. Actually, it's more kind of strange and sometimes disturbing, but also fun. Their main beats are sometimes eighties throwbacks, and sometimes totally weird and fresh, but they have such curious vocals that it makes their stuff feverish and otherworldly. Their latest album, Silent Shout has been on constant rotation since I picked it up. Check it out if you haven't already!

I've heard they were touring, and that they'd only done a few shows even though they are currently on their third album, and that they don't care for public appearances, so naturally I was like, hell yeah, I'm checking this shit out! Goo, three shows in the States, one in NY (sold out), one in SF (sold out) and one in LA (not sold out but I won't travel like that for this). Oh well, at least I have my cold hard vinyl.

The Knife, Silent Shout













Easy Star All*Stars are various artists from Easy Star Records in NYC. They reimagined Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon as a reggae album and aptly called it Dub Side of the Moon. I have this (but not in red, green, or gold colored vinyl!), and it is awesome. Now they've done the same with Radiohead's OK Computer. The album has been dubbed (heehee) Radiodread. So picking this up.

Easy Star All*Stars, No Surprises










My friend Shoko's band, Experimental Dental School, released their second full length album, 2 1/2 Creatures recently, and now they're looking at a US-wide release for this little gem on October 17. Greg Saunier of Deerhoof (my, that man is getting around) guests on 4 songs.

Fun fun fun, all circusey and distorted and full of surprises. Did I mention fun?

Listen to it here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

the Knife... I remember them, they did the song "heartbeats" that Jose Gonzales covered for the Sony Brevia ad ;P i don't know if you have that Sony brevia ads there in the US tho...

September 21, 2006 at 2:40:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

I had never heard The Knife until just recently. Silent Shout is their third album, but it's the first one released in the US. Now I'm looking for their other stuff, though I hear this current album is probably more my thing because critics have called it "darker." ;P

Heartbeats is from their second album, I think. Don't remember the Sony ad...

September 21, 2006 at 1:08:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home