Monday, May 08, 2006

My sweetie-pie, shorn clean of his winter beard for many a month now, is bored. And so he's taunting me by shaving his 2 days of growth into strange porkchop shadows that scowl at me in a very threatening manner every time I look at his sweet face. He said that if I had facial hair, I would do the same thing. Well, if I do someday, you're in for the time of your life, honey.

The Casual-T is not a "porkchop man." I repeat, NOT a porkchop man. He is delicious clean-shaven, but still presentable "a little scruffy," or "vestige of soul patch," or even "Morrissey 'burns." Porkchops are for credit card hippies in $300 vintage Levis, or sandwiches, or applesauce, or that one guy. Not my monkey! Oh woe.

NP: The new Neko Case album, "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood." I love Neko Case. Her voice is so rich, her lyrics, gorgeous, and her melodies so bittersweet. Everything I have of hers is lovely lovely. Saudade.

Margaret vs. Pauline

Everything's so easy for Pauline
Everything's so easy for Pauline
Ancient strings set feet a light to speed to her such mild grace
No monument of tacky gold
They smoothed her hair with cinnamon waves
And they placed an ingot in her breast to burn cool and collected
Fate holds her firm in its cradle and then rolls her for a tender pause to savor
Everything's so easy for Pauline

Girl with the parking lot eyes
Margaret is the fragments of a name
Her bravery is mistaken for the thrashing in the lake
Of the make-believe monster whose picture was faked
Margaret is the fragments of a name
Her love pours like a fountain
Her love steams like rage
Her jaw aches from wanting and she's sick from chlorine
But she'll never be as clean
As the cool side of satin, Pauline

Two girls ride the blue line
Two girls walk down the same street
One left her sweater sittin' on the train
The other lost three fingers at the cannery
Everything's so easy for Pauline

***

Even the sleeve artwork is magnificent.


















Listen to "Star Witness" here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

you know what I think? I think one side of your mouth says "NOT a pork chop man." Yet your unconscious cannot help but have its say as well from the other side. Since it doesn't really have a little mouth to speak from, it guides you instead to give yourself away by following your discussion, and supopsed dislike of distinguished facial hair (Wolverine, George Bernard Shaw), with what else, a bunch of sleek foxes. Yeah.

May 10, 2006 at 12:20:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

You should know better than anyone else that my unconscious has a great big piehole. Aw, and no fair using my Wolverine weakness against me. But that is one of the many reasons why I love you.

And I do love you mightily, even when you have porkchops on your face.

Thank you for shaving, love. ;P *pulls lower eyelid down with right finger and sticks out tongue*

May 10, 2006 at 3:40:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home