Thursday, April 27, 2006

NP: Antony and the Johnsons -- I Am a Bird Now

Have I told you lately how much I love Antony and the Johnsons' "I Am a Bird Now?" I have said this before, and I will continue to say it -- there is absolutely nothing wrong with this record. There's never too much or too little of anything, whether it be the vocals merging with then rising above the piano, an entrance of rich strings or horns, or the undertone of subtle drum beats. The sumptuous vocals are at once heartbreaking yet comforting, and the words are of someone utterly destroyed yet still completely formidable.

From 'Fistful of Love'

and I accept and I collect
upon my body
the memories of your devotion
and I feel your fists
and I know it's out of love
and I feel the whip
and I know it's out of love
and I feel your burning eyes burning holes
straight through my heart
it's out of love
it's out of love

From 'Hope There's Someone'

hope there's someone
who'll take care of me
when I die, will I go

hope there's someone
who'll set my heart free
nice to hold when I'm tired

there's a ghost on the horizon
when I go to bed
how can I fall asleep at night
how will I rest my head

i'm scared of the middle place
between light and nowhere
i don't want to be the one
left in there, left in there

The words and voice are so right because they feel so true, like looking straight into the void of someone's heart. Timeless. This one goes on a desert island list. I couldn't live without it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, you're totally right. Fistful of love's one of my favourite songs, alongside with Hope there's someone. Antony's a fabulous poet. and the sleeve breaks my heart...

I also love their earlier records... Cripple and Starfish is timeless, too.

May 2, 2006 at 1:04:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home