Saturday, April 29, 2006

Today, the sun was shining and it was gorgeous outside, so Trevor and I grabbed our bikes and rode 3 miles to the Japanese market to get mini chirashi sushi, pickled vegetables, and cold green tea. Trevor also discovered the market has his favorite little Japanese snack, "steamed wheat cheese cake." Mmmmmm, so perfect.

Yeah, I know, 3 miles aint no thang, except this was in Oakland, yo -- no easy-breathing feat. Barring the crazy drivers and smogtastic traffic, it was so lovely. I thought, why aren't I riding my bike everywhere? Oh yes, because it just stopped raining bucketloads a few days ago. But I can't kid myself: ever since my employer moved from downtown Oakland to the boondocks of Richmond, I haven't rode my bike but for the odd excursion to the grocery store; in fact, the tires were flat when I pulled it down from the rack on the kitchen wall. I used to ride 5 days a week! That's just sad. Today reminded me that I should never drive my car, at least on the weekends, from May through September, unless I'm going to be out late. I mean, c'mon, why do I live in the Bay? Getting to enjoy the most fantastic Cali weather is one of the big reasons! And the concerts, and people, and food, and ocean, etc. etc.

This place would be perfect if the housing prices were a little lower, or there were actually still dotcom boom style wages floating about. Even the crime here isn't so bad, comparable to cities a little bigger than Oakland. Trevor and I are always talking about the inevitable day when we decide to pack it up and take off for friendlier housing prices. I can't begin to fathom it. Okay, maybe Portland, or Ashland. My boss says wait for the "big one" and housing prices will go down. I am hoping for (in order of fantastical daydreaming) 1) winning the lotto or some random person like Donald Trump leaving me his fortune, 2) Trevor getting a fantabulous job when he's completed his Information Science Masters, combined with a big but non-lethal earthquake to drive prices down, or, 3) that we will continue to live in this fantastic place, and save money until we can retire to a home somewhere else. I'd really hate to leave the Bay, but I'd really love to have a house and a garden.

At the very least, we've got a few years to enjoy ourselves and see where life is calling us.

4 Comments:

Blogger ulalume said...

Ashland is beautiful. Plus, you get theatre (even if it is all Shakespeare - or The Man Shakes, as I like to call him - all the time). My sister went to college there. Lithia Park is gorgeous! Well, it was, until it was engulfed by mud one spring. I'm sure it's back to normal by now, though.

May 2, 2006 at 5:16:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

Your sister went to school there? Get out!?! I had dreams of going to school there when I was in high school. Such a beautiful town. While I love the Man Shakes, and he is a draw, he's got nothing on Bruce Campbell, who lives a few miles away in Medford.

The swans in Lithia Park are very, very mean swans.

May 3, 2006 at 12:11:00 AM PDT  
Blogger ulalume said...

Um...Bruce Campbell lives in Medford? If you move there, I'm moving there. We can plot "accidentally" bumping into him and become best buds with him because we're all so spectacular. ;)

My sister had so much fun at SOSC (now SOSU, I hear) that she almost flunked out Sophomore year. After that, she got serious. They didn't call it a pahty school for nothing...

I've heard swans are always mean. And big.

May 3, 2006 at 9:36:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Trevor said...

man that chirashi salad was good. Again tomorrow?

May 4, 2006 at 1:50:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home