Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Finally saw Iron Man last night. Loved it! Loved the Stan Lee cameo. Loved random Paul Bettany. The "civilian detector" scene -- completely badass. And good god man, make sure you stay until the end of the credits. *stinger spoiler in link*

But oh my stars, the best thing of course is how perfect -- in looks and in life -- Robert Downey Jr. is as Tony Stark.































Even though he's been in a few fine films since, I truly last loved Robert Downey Jr. in Less Than Zero. How's that for a comeback?

He is an excellent actor, and even though he always seems to be playing himself to a degree, most of his roles have been varied and versatile. I've been hearing a lot about how RDJ -- like Tony Stark, a recovering addict -- is really truly back to business with Iron Man. Let me tell you, he definitely brought it.

The knowledge of RDJ's very public struggle with addiction made his portrayal of Stark even more poignant and well done for me. I'll be very interested to see if they play up the alcoholism angle at all in sequels. I think it will be an injustice to the complexities of Tony Stark's -- and in a way, RDJ's -- story, and struggles, if they don't.


















So, acting aside, I've been hearing so much more about how RDJ is also back to being absolutely delicious -- cleaned-up, fit, happy, over-forty deliciousness. Given I've never thought him attractive, I thought I would be immune.

Nope.

Total hotness.














Yum!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

Didn't know Bettany was in it. Who'd he play? Was it likely to be setting up something in a later Marvel movie? The guy's too good just to waste as some random cameo.

May 7, 2008 at 11:30:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

I didn't know it either until the credits. He was the voice of Jarvis (did you love that or what?)

May 7, 2008 at 12:20:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

I've read rumor-talk that Quentin Tarantino will do a remake of Less Than Zero in 2009. They need RDJ AND Andrew McCarthy for that.

May 7, 2008 at 1:44:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home