Sunday, March 30, 2008

Finally! Confirmation by experts that my sushi snobbery is actually good for me. Sadly, though, this article seems less about the horrors of rampant sub-par sushi and more about free advertising for sushi at Wal-Mart.

I want to see more of this:

"I get these questions all the time -- people call me: 'Hey Yoshi, my husband went to fish a big salmon, we're looking to eat it as sashimi. We opened it and a bunch of worms came out. Can we eat it?'"

Christ on a bike.

Also very sad that there was no talk of what a fellow yelper calls, "Jive-Ass Rolls." You know what I'm talking about: those mayonnaise, teriyaki, and otherwise sauce-covered concoctions that, IMHO, exist primarily to mask dodgy fish.

My friends had a roll recommended to them at a Louisville, Kentucky sushi bar that not only had all of those jive-ass hallmarks -- tempura, hot-sauce spiked fish, teriyaki sauce, and mayo -- but also melted mozzarella cheese. Oh yeah, and it was served on fire. WTF? Run away!

I'm going to risk my Nihonjin card and say I actually like and partake of some rolls considered jive-ass. But I fight my urge for spicy tuna, spicy scallops, and crab salad all the time, unless I'm at a trusted Japanese joint. I humbly suggest you do the same. No one likes barfing, tapeworms, or crap masquerading as culinary delight that somehow manages in all its crappiness to still set you back at least a tenner.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

I can't believe that chef said that no salmon should be eaten raw because of the parasites! No way, dude, not giving up my sake--but I will forgo it at jive-ass restaurants.

:)

March 30, 2008 at 1:23:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

I was a little perplexed by this statement too:

In fact, Tome said salmon, which is prone to parasites, should never be eaten raw but be cooked, marinated, or frozen before being consumed.

The "never be eaten raw" was the part that I think is either misquoted or a little misleading. But I think he actually means that you have to freeze salmon before consuming it uncooked, because freezing kills parasites. Still, good idea to only eat it at real-deal places!

March 30, 2008 at 5:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger ulalume said...

omg. ew. And wow, I love some of those so-called Jive-Ass Rolls, I admit. But I think I've been lucky in my consumption of them, too. Well, except in Louisiana.

I really need to stop by your blog more often. You have the most delightful items of interest!

April 15, 2008 at 5:52:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

Cheers m'dear! Thanks for stopping by -- it's always super to hear from you. Speaking of, I am missing your witticisms over at the bunny lounge. But I feel you with the WoW.

I too enjoy some jive ass every now and again. Also been lucky as well, but I try not to tempt fate very often. Lucky too that there are some quality places here that don't mind rolling out a Kewpie and onion covered salmon nigiri** for me when asked.

**first eaten in Japan -- who contrary to popular belief is not immune to jive ass!

April 15, 2008 at 12:15:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home