Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Today in the SF Chron there is a fantastic article on the cultural significance and ease of preparation of that Korean staple, kimchee.

I LOVE kimchee. My mom, though Japanese, used to buy it when I was a kid, and so I honed my tastebuds on the ubiquitous King's Kimchee of supermarket fame. Now I can get 20 or 30 different kinds right outside my door on the outskirts of Koreatown. I even had some last night night with my signature winter dish of homemade sunomono and tempeh donburi.

Kimchee is so versatile -- classic with grilled meats, delicious with fried foods, but also superb in salad or soups (my husband particularly likes kimchee ramen). It is inexpensive, low in calories, and as a fermented food has probiotic benefits. What I like about the article is how it stresses kimchee is so easy to make at home. I have made many batches, and it tastes as good if not better (read: less salty!) than many I have bought at the Korean markets in my neighborhood.

This is the basic recipe that I use, but remember: the great thing about kimchee is that you can add almost anything to it, and adjust spice for taste.

Kimchee

14 cups coarsely chopped napa cabbage
3 tbsp salt
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup coarsely chopped green onion
4 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
4 minced garlic cloves

Toss cabbage and salt in a large bowl. Weigh down cabbage with another bowl and let stand at room temperature for 3 hours, tossing occasionally.

Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain and squeeze dry.

Combine with remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. Store, refrigerated, in Mason jars. It only gets better with age.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home