Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sorry, just slightly obsessed with this couple at the moment...

The Modest Heartthrob: Atonement Star James McAvoy's Tiny Flat and £1,000 Nissan Micra.












What happens when talented but relatively small-time actors, living somewhat normal lives, become crazy famous? Usually the opposite of this. Oooh, the irony of my admiration: I hate to contribute even more to the jibber-jabber around their lives, but it is worth noting, and applauding -- this is how you keep your sanity, by staying down to earth.

I've read that McAvoy and his wife, actress Anne-Marie Duff, are very much about living a simple and private life away from all the parties and exposure. Sure, I'll bet things around the car and flat may change -- may be inevitable at least for privacy's sake -- but if they continue to keep their heads about them and, as Duff says, their hearts "not up for public consumption" (and stay in the UK), I doubt they'll change much else and be able to keep their simple life. Hard to do when under constant scrutiny, but they seem to be approaching fame with a grain of salt, and they also seem so in love (Yes, I am a sop). If any couple is going to make it in the over-the-top world of international celebrity, I predict it will be this one. Respect.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

Oh, give them time. They'll be living in a nice Georgian townhouse in Muswell Hill and driving a Jag by Christmas.

January 28, 2008 at 1:02:00 PM PST  
Blogger Ammie said...

Rich people live in townhouses in the UK? And Jags? Ewww.

Anyway -- Oi, you're a bitter one! Just let me continue my little fantasy, please. ;)

January 28, 2008 at 1:34:00 PM PST  
Blogger Ammie said...

Oh, sorry -- just looked it up. Townhouses here in the States are, I guess, "terraced housing" in the UK. But ours are usually not as posh.

January 28, 2008 at 1:37:00 PM PST  
Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

Hey, if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd be buying a nice townhouse in London and driving a jag. Or an Aston Martin. By Thursday.

January 29, 2008 at 3:36:00 PM PST  
Blogger Ammie said...

You strike me more as a classy 60s Aston Martin guy than a Jag man. But a classic Jag though gets the thumbs up from me.

BTW, I'm not talking smack about folks getting a bit of money and buying something to upgrade, or replace the nothing that they currently have -- and I am so with you about the Lotto! But we common folk have far less distractions and pressure.

The public expects stars to bust out the over-the-top extravagance, and right away when they're the hot thing. Then we lambast them for doing it, and also for NOT doing it. So I respect these two for trying to keep it real, as it were. There's too much thrown at you at once in celebrity, hard to keep your head and hold on to your money, and just feel normal. This is how to do it.

So yes, as a non-celebrity, I would be buying a cabin and land somewhere away from the city, and probably also a nice little one bedroom flat or even a studio loft in Oakland or summat for visits. Okay, and a place in Japan, as well as in Europe, somewhere. My car tastes are less extravagant -- I'd like a 4WD pickup and a new Honda Civic. If I ever win a fair amount, I'll buy you a place in London too if you want. :)

January 29, 2008 at 10:46:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home