Tuesday, June 06, 2006

So, my bestest girl, my partner in all things fabulous, the only one who understands when my eyes go wide at the sight of the eyebrow lady or who will cackle wildly and with abandon with me in quiet bookstores at US magazine and Vogue, who will play Ms. Pac-Man until she has carpal tunnel and loves to watch teen movies, who will tell me immediately if something looks awful on me or if I'm being a bitch or if she's being a bitch, who I can shop with because we are not the same size and never fight over accessories, who will share filthy quesadillas with me and will spend 4 hours shopping with me in the Fillmore Goodwill, is moving to Vietnam to be with her honey. For a year. Maybe more, maybe less.

I've known for months, but been in denial. Since she went away in early May to become a yoga instructor at yoga boot camp, the cold reality of it is finally hitting me. She's been emailing and I never have the heart to give a full response, because I can't stand it that this is how we'll be communicating for the foreseeable future. She wants me to get one of those cameras and use Skype, but I feel like a mannequin on those webcam things. But how will I see your fabulous thrifting finds and your hair growing out, she says? *sniff* She's back for a week at the end of the month, and then *zoom* off to pho and scooters and communist capitalism and the hustle of Saigon.

I miss her already. But I am really happy for her too, because goddamn, Vietnam! For a year. And she's saved enough so that she doesn't have to work if she doesn't want to. Pure freedom and the luxury to choose exactly what she wants to do. All that adventure for a girl used to planning and saving and doing the responsible thing, and then planning some more. Sucking up all that wonderful LIFE. And she gets to be reunited with her sweetie-pie, who has been gone for over a year. And here I am sulking. It's enough to make a girl develop multiple personalities.

When we first met, I thought she was a snooty bitch, and she thought I was a copy machine. How am I going to function without you, T?

2 Comments:

Blogger ulalume said...

Oh, I remember that feeling. What am I talking about, I am reminded of that feeling right now, since my best friend here just told me this very morning that she's seriously considering taking a job in Cleveland - a really good job that she shouldn't pass up. But...Cleveland. It's not Vietnam (she and her husband, who eat pho every Sunday, would prefer that), but it's a whole different world.

Just think of the stories you'd hear from your friend, though. Lots of experiences to be viewed through someone else's eyes. And she'll be back, right?

June 7, 2006 at 10:30:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

She'll be back. Someday. And I will visit, yes. She will have such a fantastic time, so can't say I'm not ecstatic for her. But *sigh* no one can replace my bestest girl, so I'm down and out for the girly-girlness. She's a treasure.

Good for your friend, bunny! But, yes, bittersweet for you. I suppose I'll be leaving the Bay for better job/buying a house goodness someday too, so I understand. You've got to take life's opportunities when they feel right.

June 7, 2006 at 11:18:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home