Saturday, May 27, 2006

I'm visiting my parents in my little hometown this weekend. Usually, there's not much draw here except for the outdoors, and of course, family. But on our way to eat delicious French brunch at the only place worth going to in whiskeytown, my sweetie and I stopped at a crazy yard sale at this majestic Victorian that I've admired since I was a child.

Sweet mamajama, there were clothes to be had! The clothes were from a woman who was a synchronized swimmer in Beverly Hills in the 30s and 40s, who was married to a lawyer, and after her husband had died she had a romance with Jimmy Stewart! Many vintage items from Saks, I Magnin, Neiman Marcus. Apparently she made clothes to sell at Neiman Marcus too, and there were many many fantastic items that were handmade, with gorgeous vintage fabric. She was like a size zero, so I couldn't buy a lot of the handmade stuff to wear, and I couldn't bring myself to buy it to tear apart for the fabric. I called my friend at Bees Knees Vintage to get their butts up there and buy the lot! I can't bear to see those gorgeous and history-rich pieces go to the graveyard that is the Salvation Army, or worse, the dump!

I walked away with a beautiful Enid Collins bejeweled bag (squee!! -- been wanting one since I was in high school and first started collecting handbags), a 1940's grey leather evening bag, 6 gorgeous pristine 50s cashmere sweaters, as well as two vintage crinolines and a bunch of fantastic vintage belts, for $29! Ahhhhhh! *sigh* I love clothes with so much history, I feel so great owning some of this woman's stuff! That yard sale was orgasmic. Then I had quiche and tea, and found out Bauhaus played two new songs at Sasquatch last night. LIFE IS GOOD!

3 Comments:

Blogger Willard said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

May 28, 2006 at 7:59:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

Aw, you gave it away! I was hoping to let people ruminate on whether our town was Auburn, or Murphys, or Groveland.

Funny, in my mind you are always wearing a blue flannel shirt, and those damn puka shells. Am I right?

May 28, 2006 at 11:29:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Willard said...

that comment can be deleted if neccessary(please.. do!)
almost right on the vision.
it's too hot to wear flannel now, but in the winter I wear this redish..maroon.. one. It's GAP.. but it's close enough. Puka Shell? Oooh.. it broke.
Now my hair is a huge dirty mop, and I am wearing jeans and a quicksilver shirt that Marty, the hitchhiking friend, gave to me on his way cycling across America 2 years ago.
I wear anonymous clothes, cause I hate people looking at me. I do wear larger baggier jeans with a belt.. and look enough like a sceanster to blend into the teeming hordes of them here in Denver.
Enough about me.
I still see you as you dressed in the Home town. you know..
little black slippers,
black velvet pants and shirt.. a swath of cloth across your face
and all those throwing stars around your waist..

May 29, 2006 at 8:34:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home