Saturday, May 12, 2007

Some things I’m obsessing about...

Tim Noble and Sue Webster's most recent exhibition at the Freud Museum. I am absolutely in love with Black Narcissus.























__

Apparently it has been out for a while, but I just heard that Johnny Depp has bought rights to and at this point will be producing one of my favorite books of late, The People's Act of Love. I also hear he may take a role, along with Russell Crowe. Not what I imagined in my mind, but I have faith Johnny!

Speaking of film, am I the only one in the world who really liked Spiderman 3? I loved it! Seriously worth the ticket price for emo Peter Parker, for real.












Also worth the ticket price -- finding out from the previews that there are actually films I want to see in the coming months, and getting to eat a bucket of popcorn. Yay for Bourne Ultimatum, Harry Potter, and the new Julie Taymor, and yay for movie theater butter.

__

Did you know there is a blog dedicated to cupcakes?

__

This is for my girl T. Look at these sweet things I bought.

























Also see here and here for more "it's been hotter than hell why are you buying boots" madness.

__

I've been thinking a lot about green waste – specifically when I get ice cream at Ici and it's in a compostable corn-based bowl with a compostable corn-based spoon, and on my walk home when I'm throwing the bowl and the spoon into someone's green waste container when I'm finished, instead of into the trash.

Corn-based compostable and biodegradable dishes and utensils. Wow. Sure, there are problems, as with anything. But humans are not going to stop using plastic until it is too late, and that is an insurmountable problem. We need solutions, and waiting around for something perfect is going to destroy us. Corn bioplastic is a great great thing for urban areas with green waste/composting facilities, and it may encourage more cities to introduce green waste management to their garbage portfolio. The answer to getting this going is time -- like when Oakland outlawed styrofoam (BTW, yay Oil Independent Oakland 2020!) -- and government subsidies for communities to get green waste processing facilities and for the plastic manufacturers so they can convert their factories, in order to avoid our delicate capitalist economy crashing down around us.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Check out this article in the latest issue of Orion magazine if you get a chance.

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/270

Let me know what you think.

May 14, 2007 at 9:01:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Green Waste Recycle Yard said...

Hi Saudade, tudo bem?

I thought you might be interested in hearing about our green waste recycling business here in the East Bay.

In a nutshell, we provide a green and beneficial alternative to the wasteful and costly practice of dumping green waste from our urban forests into landfills. Instead, we recycle the discarded wood into a variety of useful value-added products including:

* Organic aged and mixed mulch
* All-wood mulch chipped from culled logs
* Dimensional lumber
* Supports and trusses
* Hardwood flooring
* Landscape retaining walls and step blocks
* Tabletops and slabs
* Select pieces for woodworking artisans
* Biomass wood fuel

We don't (currently) do composting, but do most everything else.

Web page at: www.greenwasterecycleyard.com

Brief video tour:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QuJAiqpKNV8

Short East bay Express article:
Log Jams

Tchau!

May 14, 2007 at 12:13:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home