Friday, November 21, 2008

Sorry in advance to the blog-reading boys: I must share about my latest thrifting acquisitions, because I have scored big time in the last few days, and my best thrifting partner -- the currently world-traveling yoga girl (only the internet binds us at the moment) -- must know these things.

I have been searching in vain for a pair of workhorse black heels for about 2 years. These things are like jeans -- they have to be perfect for you or they will never be worn and just collect dust. And if there's one thing my yoga girl has taught me about acquiring a workhorse wardrobe item, is that you should wait rather than settle.

I waited. And oh yes, it was worth it:



















These Calvin Klein heels are PERFECT -- they are versatile and classic, have a 3-inch spike heel to avoid the office-lady look, they fit like a dream, and are padded in all the right places. They are brand new and I got them for 7 dollars. Squee!

I also picked up this Calvin Klein silk dress. On and off, it is gorgeous.


















Alright, and my label-whoring wouldn't be complete without a nod to one of my obsessions as of late, French label Lacoste. Found the cutest little black flats:



















Lest you think I abandon my vintage roots -- check out the baby pink 1950s wool cardi that I got for a song, and that fits like a glove:



















And no post is complete without more vintage kitchenware; this time, it's Homer Laughlin (manufacturers of another fave I collect, the Fiesta line) and some cute little cups and saucers:



















I will never tire of the satisfaction I get from finding timeless, functional, high-quality things for next to nothing. It's funny, because every now and then I get a gift card for some medium to high-end department store and I just don't know what to do with myself. Everything is laid out all pretty and neat-like and I just am so...uninspired. And c'mon -- $75-100 for a crappy shirt made in China? (Ben Sherman, I'm looking at you).

I usually end up buying ridiculous things that I would never think to buy normally -- like the funky two tone Puma sandal-flats I bought last year (that sit on my shoe shelf most of the year). So anyway, give me the thrill of the hunt, the quality of old-school tailoring and timeless labels, and the satisfaction of getting a bagful of stuff for less than it costs for lunch!

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

boo hoo, I miss you. I am just on my way to the hell that is the tourist market to look at the five million red bull t-shirts they have for sale. Love the lacoste and the dress looks amazing, and moses you have stilettos, girl don't forget to stretch your achilles. Love you heaps and miss you piles. We are so going thrifting when I get back. Damn I forgot my pledge to only own the essentials. Crap. Well maybe I will back slide into consumerism. Hugs to you both.

November 23, 2008 at 5:12:00 AM PST  
Blogger Ammie said...

I miss you too!

Just owning the essentials is overrated. A girl needs options. Spare living is only appreciated/virtuous when you have to move. ;)

November 24, 2008 at 10:42:00 AM PST  
Blogger rachel said...

Ahhhh, pink sweater, stripey cups!!!
and bow flats!

that score is enough to keep you going till christmas.
rockridge "trickledown?"

December 5, 2008 at 10:52:00 AM PST  
Blogger Ammie said...

Actually, more of a trans-bay trickledown. :)

December 5, 2008 at 11:21:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home