Sunday, August 10, 2008

I really can't stand the writing of the author of this article (so much so I'm not naming him for any further free publicity), but I do like the subject matter.

So, what are your greatest rock and roll myths? (And I just have to say, haha, Robert Plant, you card.)

I was quite surprised that the first one that popped into my mind -- the old school yarn of a Bowie/Jagger affair -- didn't make the cut. Glamorous myth, or glamorous truth?

But I must agree: that "half-eaten backstage deli tray by a moth-eaten couch under the green glow of fluorescent lights" is truly the sad, sad backstage reality that kills the glamorous rock and roll backstage fantasy.

Though, in my case, it was more like cheap alcoholic leftovers in a plastic bus tub -- filled now with more water than ice -- sitting by a moth-eaten couch in a room with one window, being scavenged by a local tambourine player/record store clerk and his coked-up friends. Leftovers that were also being offered to me by a roadie who may have been thinking of me as a sexytime prospect. Oy vey.

I'm still disappointed from that complete nosedive of my backstage fantasy!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

Yeah, I love this kinda shit, too. If I ever find my little book of rock apocrypha I got free with a magazine over here (can't remember which one... NME or Q or Mojo or somesuch), I'll send it to ya.

August 11, 2008 at 12:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

Yes, please! Do you have a favorite?

August 11, 2008 at 8:59:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home