Friday, August 01, 2008

So, is this guy really homeless? Or just smart?

I've been intrigued by this little slice of urban living ever since I met a guy at Mama Buzz who was playing a beautiful Fender bass on the back patio on a battery-powered headphone amp. We got to talking and I came to find that even though he was fully employed and pulling in a good income, he preferred to live in his van, down by the river (for real!) And he was saving bank.

He showed me his set-up, and it was pretty nice -- though I'd have to reduce my closet by 90 percent and, as a woman, become a trained killer to live that way. Men have it so lucky! Anyway, the key, he said, was the van. White, with tinted windows, it also had a large cross hanging from the rearview and the name of an order of monks written on the side in plain script. Cops, he said, don't want to bother men of god.

I'd be a little worried about the repentants you might attract though. Especially down by the river.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Willard said...

Ahh.. the dream.

I embarked on a version of this one this last winter, in a van & 2 month food supply, but ran aground in San Diego when my ship ran out of gas, and I, of money.

Health, and the need for teeth, have me working on some sort of career model, instead of wandering, though, at this time.

I may write a "sister-post" over yonder about this.

Regards,

Not Sierra Dan

August 1, 2008 at 6:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Tink said...

here is my contribution to this genius - a gym membership. For around 100 buck per month you get showers and fitness combined, maybe even a pool or sauna and they open early and close late. If you are really lucky they have yoga and magazines, so you get reading, washing, exercise, and calm all in one tidy little cheapo package. Next brilliant idea is a public kitchen, oh wait if you volunteer at a shelter or soup kitchen you often get to eat there too.

August 2, 2008 at 6:00:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home