Wednesday, November 28, 2007



















Already released in the UK, but not until January in the States, this is a book I might actually buy rather than drone on here about whether anyone thinks it's good or if it's just rubbish. I'll tell you why.

Paul Morley -- besides being from Manchester and following Joy Division as a fan and journalist for NME during the 1978-1983 explosion of post-punk -- is apparently a kickass writer. He's also apparently of the mind that something intensely magical was happening with music in the UK at this time, something that caused a shift in the lives of a whole generation. Discovering Joy Division as a 14-year-old, 8 years after the death of Ian Curtis, I felt a tremendous shift in my own life too. That is powerful music. I really don't think I'd be the same person today had I never heard Unknown Pleasures.

Oh, and how it pours when it rains: also out in early 2008 (in the UK, and hopefully across the pond as well) is the Jon Savage film titled, simply, Joy Division. With new interviews with surviving Joy Division members Peter Hook, Bernard Sumner, and Stephen Morris, as well as loads of live footage, I am intrigued to hear it described by Peter Hook as "the perfect answer to Control."

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

Oh yeah, Morley's a great writer. One of those guys who can enthuse you, make you want to check out stuff, make you re-think music you'd already decided you didn't like, even. I keep recommending his book WORDS AND PICTURES to punters and fellow bloggers alike.

Plus, enter "Paul Morley" into my blog's search engine and follow the link to what I called "the most honest piece of music jounalism I've ever read", in which he pretty much deconstructs his entire profession in a couple of hundred words.

December 1, 2007 at 3:58:00 PM PST  
Blogger Ammie said...

Ha! Nice one. And it definitely makes me feel better about my tendency to review things months after they've been released. That's right, I'm not lazy or out of touch, I'm just unfazed by musical bandwagoning! ;)

Link to the link for the lazy.

I keep hearing grand things about Morley, and your words are a succinct description of the same. Cheers for the recommendation too. This new book is already on order.

December 2, 2007 at 4:19:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home