Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Fab essay in The New Yorker (that I just picked up off the free table downstairs in my building, so yes, it is from last month) about Paper founder, Kim Hastreiter.

I like this:

I think the fashion world is so twisted, and that's why I'm not in that world. They're so concerned with what's trendy that they don't care if it's great.

I often read fashion mags and think this same sentiment; what also crosses my mind is that you could never pay me enough to play those games. Some people probably really do dig it, but somehow I can't imagine deep happiness or satisfaction coming from constant fickle scrutiny, even when it's processed by the most grounded of souls. But while Hastreiter isn't in fashion per se, she publishes a mag about urban culture, and well, hell, that is certainly a fair piece of the fawning, air-kissing pie. Rare to hear of someone who not only sounds like a true maverick, but who seems respected and happy.

Anyway, also love the shout out to Creative Growth in Oakland. I can definitely vouch for Hastreiter that she knows what's up.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home