Monday, June 18, 2007

So, my awesome acupuncturist has been telling me I need to cut back on the dairy and up my fermented food intake (yay, more natto!). But the problem is, I love parmesan cheese! Especially cheese on anything with tomato sauce. Staples of my life.

Enter a recipe staple from my college days that is tomato goodness without the need for heaping handfuls of parm. So good I have to share. And oh my god, I am a not a vegan but I am a spicy vegan vegetable jambalaya culinary rockstar!

Check it, yo:

1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup white wine or rice vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
4 cloves of garlic, chopped

Mix these ingredients together. Be sure to dissolve the brown sugar. Set aside.

Cut into bite-size pieces:

1 large onion
1 head garlic
4 stalks celery
8 large mushrooms
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
2 Anaheim chili peppers
2 zucchini

Heat two tbsp olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, a couple good turns of the pepper mill and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, for three minutes. Add celery and stir for a couple more minutes. Add mushrooms, ditto. Add all peppers, stirring occasionally for 10 more minutes.

Add to pot, stirring after each addition:

2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground mustard seed
the liquid mixture from step one

Simmer for a couple of minutes. Then add:

1 28 ounce can of chopped tomatoes
1 package tempeh (yay fermented foods!) or tofu, cut into small cubes

Simmer for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more salt or honey to taste. Serve with steamed brown rice.

NP: The Make Up, 'Pow! to the People'

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home