Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Today I read two profiles of designers back to back -- designers who I think are setting the innovation bar in their respective fields.

First:

Hipstamatic founders Lucas Buick, Ryan Dorshorst

The founders of Hipstamatic, two 29-year-old Wisconsinites with graphic design degrees, have brought quirky, stylish flair to the Web without connections to venture capitalists or Silicon Valley insiders. With $1.83 in their corporate account, they started a company that - unlike many tech enterprises - was profitable from the day it launched.

As you can tell from my blog, I LOVE this app (John S lens and Kodot film 4EVA!). I love seeing people doing what they love. I didn't know they have a San Francisco office; I have a feeling I might also love to work there.

Also:


She is the creative director for the fashion house of Alexander McQueen - a lofty and high-pressure position - but Sarah Burton is no attitudinal diva...Burton was [in San Francisco] to receive an honorary doctorate from the [San Francisco Academy of Art] and to award internships to students after perusing their portfolios and watching the runway show, a highlight of the academic year for 400 guests in the audience - students and local fashionistas alike.

Longtime readers of sine qua non know that while I cannot afford McQueen, I covet it for its fierce and fearless pieces and its tendency to make classics pop in unexpected ways. I agree with Burton when she mentions that McQueen is timeless. This profile was way too short, but still a nice little glimpse of the woman who went from intern to creative director of one of the most ground-breaking fashion houses in the world.

It is so inspiring to see people do what they love, make good work, and keep their heads. Respect.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

Great post! Fashion and photography always go together! And yeah, when design stems from authentic passion, it's just better.

P.S. I love that one need not join a "social network" to use hipstamatic! Kudos to Buick and Dorshorst!

May 29, 2012 at 1:55:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home