Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Russian Goths Arrested on Suspicion of Murdering and Eating Teenagers in Satanic Ritual

Equally disturbing to me, however:

In June, the State Duma held a hearing on proposed legal amendments that would regulate emo websites and prevent goth-inclined teenagers from entering schools and government buildings.

What? On what grounds?

As a former goth kid -- "rehabilitated" as it were into a color-wearing, sensible shoe wearing, generally makeup-less citizen -- I thank my stars this was my path into young adulthood. Sure, there's an obsession with doom and gloom, but plenty of well-adjusted kids embrace goth culture. I loved it because the nature of "goth" means an interest in the macabre, the other, and questioning the status quo. So hand in hand with that doom and gloom came awareness and discussion of literature (gothic and otherwise), environmentalism, politics, religion, you name it -- the likes of which some people don't get exposed to until college, if ever.

So in light of recent conversations I've been having with folks about the Salem Witch Trials, I just have to ask: don't we ever learn a damn thing?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger LAS said...

Thank God someone is finally standing up to the Goth menace! It's about time we focused on the issues that really matter.

September 16, 2008 at 1:32:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home