Monday, June 02, 2008

Tagged by Mark, and he decrees:

List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to.

Yay! I love this kind of stuff.

1) 'Tengo la Voz' by Nortec Collective

I bought The Tijuana Sessions, Volume 3 years ago on a recommendation by one of my favorite musicians, David J, and then promptly lent it out to a friend who lived out of town -- without uploading it to iTunes first. I just got it back, and this is the first song on the album. Reminds me of summertime!



2) 'Hold the Line' by Toto

I recently bet a friend a burrito that this song was by Foreigner.

Le sigh.



3) 'Oh Yoko!' by John Lennon

Three things:

a) People always want Trevor and me to dress as John and Yoko for Halloween.

b) I really like Yoko Ono.

c) Trevor has put this on many a mix for me over the years.

You can really tell how much John loves her in this song. I was in Trevor's workplace yesterday and he played this song -- which is one of the reasons why I can tell he loves me.



4) 'Buzz Saw' by Xiu Xiu

The first song on an album I'll be buried with, I never paid much attention to 'Buzz Saw' because in comparison to the rest of The Air Force it seemed so simple and unassuming. But I've been revisiting this album lately and this song is a perfect introduction to the impending maelstrom -- simple honesty and controlled angst punctuated with jarring percussion and just the slightest little noise.

Live it's phenomenal, but watching it on Gootube can't do it justice. Just buy the album already!



5) 'Don't Stop Believing' by Journey

I've been hearing this song a lot lately in the ironic hipster bars I seem to frequent, and I'll just say it: I loved Journey when it wasn't cool to do so, I love them now that it is, and I will love them when they are again yanked from the jukebox in favor of Lawrence Welk and gluing pubes to your face or whatever ironic cool thing the kids think of next.



6) 'Harper Lewis' by Russian Circles

When I got Russian Circles' new album, Station, a few weeks ago, I listened to it incessantly. They're on my mind; this defines them for me.



7) 'Here I Go Again' by Whitesnake

When the weather warms, it means getting outside and taking roadtrips. This also means I actually remember to grab the face of my car stereo so there are tunes. Inevitably, this means Trevor (un)intentionally garbles the lyrics to many songs that end up on the mixes we make for said road trips. It always comes back to that "twister" that was born to walk alone.



Since I have some readers who don't have blogs, rather than tag 7 bloggers only, I tag Jack, T-Zone (what's rocking your socks in Asia?), The Stresstaster, and...YOU! Non-bloggers, please let my universe and Google know what's rocking your world by posting in the comments.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

I could make so many comments here, but I will restrict myself to just two:

Toto?! Really?

And that I maintain my poetic license with my assertion that indeed a twister can walk alone, and that my phrase is far less played that an everyday common drifter (of course) walking alone...

June 3, 2008 at 1:09:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

The original versh of "Here I Go Again" is infinitely better, though I must admit it doesn't have Tawny Kitaen writhing over any car bonnets in its video.

Heard the (possibly apocryphal)story about her, David Coverdale and Mike Tyson?

June 3, 2008 at 3:32:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Ammie said...

Heard the (possibly apocryphal)story about her, David Coverdale and Mike Tyson?

No, do tell. Should I say "eeeewww" now or save it for later?

June 3, 2008 at 3:50:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

It's the most English story in rock, 'cus it ends with the passive-aggressive quote "well, I'll just put the bloody kettle on then, will I?".

Coverdale is quite the one-man Spinal Tap. And he provided me with an important life-lesson. Even when you're the singer in Deep Purple, just past their most successful heights, don't ask the sommelier in a fancy French restaurant to "bring me your finest bottle of brandy". Chances are you still can't afford it.

June 4, 2008 at 1:10:00 PM PDT  
Blogger LAS said...

tagged, huh? THEN I SHALL DO MY WORST

June 5, 2008 at 7:19:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home